Sunday, May 24, 2009

Connie Donleycott - Three Questions

Connie Donleycott has been writing haiku since mid-2000. Her poems have been published in a variety of journals as well as the Red Moon Anthology and A New Resonance 4: Emerging Voices in English Language Haiku. She lives in Bremerton, Washington with her husband Ken. They have two grown children (a daughter and a son) and are currently adjusting to the "empty nest".



1) Why do you write haiku?

The practice of writing haiku enriches my life and has awakened that child-like wonder within myself.


2) What other poetic forms do you enjoy?

I enjoy writing rengay, haibun and I've recently taken part in the Port Townsend Renku group.


3) Of the many wonderful haiku you've written, what do you consider to be your top three?


Three special ones, for me--


creak of the swing . . .
my feet still reach
the sky

The Heron's Nest, Vol V:9
Readers' Choice Poem of the Year, The Heron's Nest 2003
Red Moon Anthology, "Tug of the Current"



woodland path —
a small flower
bends our knees

The Heron's Nest, Vol. V:3



beach stones
the sun's warmth
fills my hand

The Heron's Nest, Vol. VI:7
"Haiku Journey"--Hot Lava Games



If you've been enjoying this weekly series and have not contributed, please consider sharing your response (whether it be for haiku or tanka) to the three little questions that Connie answered. You must be a published poet in order to participate.

Kate MacQueen will be our guest next week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello Connie,

honestly, I am not sure if I loved
your award winning poem:

creak of the swing . . .
my feet still reach
the sky

for how good thw poem is, or how enthusiastic Christoper Herold was
when he wrote the commentary. I
was there, the chains of the swings
"creaked," and my feet still, could
reach the sky!

You had my vote.

Gene
PS: I do miss those monthly paper editions showing up in my mailbox
around the 3rd of each month.

Area 17 said...

Wow, what a fantastic group of haiku! The Heron's Nest must be pleased you chose them all from their publication.

all my best,

Alan
With Words Online Haiku Competition